Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Garden Day: September 11th, 2008

We are now in our second harvest season at the Green Street School Garden. The fourth graders get 45 to 50 minutes of garden time every Thursday, in between band lesson pull-outs. We are grateful for support from our school administration, custodial staff, and money from a parent fundraiser which has made it possible to hire a garden coordinator, Maria Chambers who works part time, teaching students in the garden and doing other tasks needed to keep the garden going. Below are some excerpts from students' writing about their day in the garden on September 11, 2008.
-Laura White, 4th grade teacher

“At garden time I made signs and prices for the food.”

“We made bouquets and I had a lot of fun.”

“Today in the garden I picked some flowers for Jody (school counselor). I think that picking flowers is great. I LOVE IT!!!!! I hope we do this more often.”

“Today in garden I helped sort out the foods for the farm stand. It was really fun because we sorted out peppers, onions, turnips, cucumbers and a lot more.”

“I enjoyed picking flowers and making them into a beautiful bouquet. I gave them to Rhonda because she helped me through 2nd grade. I used orange, purple and red flowers. Rhonda really liked it and that made her smile and that made me really happy.”

“I made a bouquet for the fifth grade teacher Ms. Brin Tucker. My bouquet had zinnias, dill, and a seedy pink and red type of flower and a white flower with a yellow center… Ms. Tucker was very happy with it.”

“Today we picked nice juicy cucumbers with tons of spikes.”

No comments: