Thursday, May 29, 2008

Garden Reflections for May 22nd, 2008

Group A
“Today Group A transplanted [beets]…. We had [the seedlings] in pots. We pinched them on the sides, pulled them out and if there were two in one pot, we would split them in half. Then we dug a five-inch trench. Then we put them on either side of it. Then we buried them to the soil line. Then we watered them to let them start growing in their new home.”

“I had lots of fun planting today. It was really cool… I like to play in the dirt a lot and I also think getting dirty is fun…”

Group B1
“Today in garden groups I made a wall to prevent a mudslide: a.k.a. erosion. I got to use tools: a drill, sledgehammer, and a shovel. I liked using the drill… I split a wood chip, calling it the "Wood Chip of Honor." I gave it to a special teacher. I had fun. But one thing, I don’t know why, but the drill was getting quite hot... “

“Today in Garden Group we first picked radishes (red and white). I didn’t like either of them Then (our custodian) Kevin came outside and I went to get the sledgehammer because Kevin told me to. He told us that we needed to build a wall. Kevin gave [my friend] the drill and he drilled a hole. I thought it looked pretty hard but then my friend did it and I did it and it wasn’t that hard. Then we took metal poles (rebar) and stuck them in the holes so the blocks of wood went into the ground. It was a really fun day. I learned how to drill holes. “

“Before [we built the wall] we checked the asparagus. Two plants were growing.”

Group B2
“Today in garden group we transplanted lettuce besides onions and carrots. Why did we plant lettuce next to onions? Because they grow good together. We also watered the lettuce and rhubarb and beets. “

“Today in garden group we used scissors to cut greens two inches away from the white hairy roots. Then we gathered up the greens, washed them, and spun them to dry. Then we put the greens in bags and carried them to the Kindergarten and first grade classes. We also looked up what lettuce’s companions were because we planted them [together]. [Some] plants grow well together. [For example] they have different root lengths…The plant that has longer roots gets nutrients from down low and the plant that has shorter roots gets the nutrients from up high…. “


Group C
“Today I put the compost in the garden! It started out as a damp day and group C was planting pac choy My job was to bring compost over when I was asked to. I had to be very patient and wait. Finally it was my chance to put compost in the garden. The soil was very cold and felt damp. I learned that it was important to put the compost in the garden. I also learned pac choy could be used cooked or just raw. I had lots of fun on garden day!”

“Thursday I transplanted. I liked it. It was lots of fun. We got to use tools... [One tool] was a trowel to make holes for the plants. Another tool was a rake so we can get the straw [mulch] off of the bed for the plants…”

Group D
“Today at Garden Group I raked leaves out of a spot in the garden on the corner so we could plant marigolds, hollyhock, and two more flowers I forget the name of. I also got to laugh a couple of times: two of my “sworn enemies” had to fill up watering cans in the boys bathroom (note that they are both girls. Ha ha ha!!!)…”

Group G
“Today in the garden was really fun. We put some fresh soil in the herb garden. To do that we took shovels and pitchforks and we loosened the soil, then put fresh soil in. We also put rocks around the herb garden that we had collected from the West River last week. I thought it was really fun to put the rocks around the herb garden because you get to put the rocks where you want to...”

No comments: