Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Garden Reflections: September 18, 2008





This week is the Kids' Localvore Challenge. Students are trying to eat as many local foods as possible. We added to our list with our harvests from the garden. Today in garden time the fourth graders did a variety of activities. Some made herb tea from lemon balm and lemon verbena. Others made green salsa from tomatillos, jalapenos and sorrel. We made canapes with herbed butter and cream cheese (herbs from the garden), cinnamon basil jelly made last week during garden time, and edible flowers and herbs. Another group canned dilly beans. Other students worked to prepare the Thursday farmstand for dismissal time: harvesting and cleaning vegetables, pricing them, and counting money.

“Today during garden time I helped picked lemon balm which I learned was not yellow but green and looked like basil. We used lemon balm to decorate the bread that we gave to teachers and that we had for snack. I never knew what lemon balm looked like or had never tasted it until today.”

“Today at school I got to prepare our class snack. [A friend] cut the bread into fine pieces. [the rest of us] picked herbs and edible flowers to put on the bread with cream cheese… I really enjoy working in the garden and cooking a lot of recipes!”

“At garden time I made fancy ou d’ourves. While I was spreading cream cheese on one of the pieces of bread a reporter from the Brattleboro Reformer and a photographer came and took pictures. The reporter asked me lots of questions about the localvore challenge. He also tried some of our basil jelly that we made last week… I had an awesome time in the garden!”

“Today I picked lemon balm leaves to make tea. We had to boil water so the tea is hot.”

“When we were making dilly beans we saw a praying mantis. I’ve never seen one before until now. I was mind bottled [mind boggled?] It was brown like a stick, and its wings were green like green grass.”

“Today we harvested tomatoes, tomatillos, and peppers. We also made bouquets of lemon-scented flowers. I liked harvesting for the frost.”

No comments: